Permit Requirements

 Mist Nets

Avinet policy is that we only sell mist nets for the purpose of research, and only to customers who provide us with a copy of their federal or state-issued permit specifically authorizing use of mist nets to capture birds and bats. If you are purchasing on behalf of someone else, please make a note in the order comments (in the shopping cart area - it is before the checkout area!) who the nets are being purchased for and make sure that they are aware you are purchasing mist nets for them. We reserve the right to contact the permit holder to ensure that you are authorized to be purchasing equipment under their permit.

 We accept the following documentation:


  •  USGS Federal Bird Banding permits. Please specify if you are a subpermittee or the master permittee.
  •  US Fish & Wildlife Service federal permits for scientific collection. 
  •  State issued collection permits

    Canada: Environment Canada permits, provincial permits (not applicable to migratory birds)

    Australia: ABBBS Permits (Australian Bird and Bat Banding Scheme)

    If you are not able to produce any of the permits above, we will accept on a case-by-case basis a formal letterhead issued by an official of the Ministry of Environment (or equivalent in your country) authorizing you to conduct research using mist nets in a given region. We will also accept on a case-by-case basis a formal letterhead issued by your supervisor, mentor, or head of office who can attest to your experience using mist nets and be responsible for any reports of misuse. If you are currently waiting to receive a permit that has been applied for, such as your Bird Banding Lab subpermittee application, you may place an order for permitted equipment, however we must have the permit before we ship the order to you.

    We do not under any circumstances sell mist nets to those engaged in pest control or bird mitigation services of any kind. We do make exceptions to permitted individuals from USDA APHIS.

    We do not accept IACUC authorizations as permit documentation except in situations where customers are working with wildlife species that are not under protection (House sparrows, European starlings, etc.). You should have state or federal documentation to accompany IACUC paperwork when working with protected species.

    Please consult us via email ( or give us a call at 1(888)284-6387 if you have any questions regarding what is appropriate for our permit requirements. We are knowledgeable concerning permits and can help you locate the appropriate documentation.

    Auxiliary Markers

     For color bands, we require a federal or state-issued permit allowing placement of auxiliary markers or bands on migratory birds. Auxiliary marking is regulated by the Bird Banding Lab (BBL) in the US, hence why ask for permits prior to purchase. It usually reads as the following on BBL permits:

    We make exceptions for captive or birds/bats in rehabilitation. If available, please send us your rehab permit. If auxiliary marking is not regulated in your country, please make note in your order comments.

    Sampling Supplies 

    *Please note that hypodermic needles are only available for shipment within the US. Because of import laws, we cannot ship them internationally.*

    For blood sampling supplies, we require your permit to specifically list your authorization to take, possess, and transport blood samples, and we cannot make exceptions. It usually appears as:

    Please contact us if you have any questions about what is appropriate permit documentation.

    Please send permits as PDF or image files to:, and mention in the checkout comments who the permit holder is for mist net orders (in the shopping cart area - it is before checkout!). We keep permits on file, but we generally prefer to have your most recent permit every 3-5 years. When in doubt, please send us your permit! Thanks!